TWC9: Igniting Windows 10 Insiders, MIDI, Spatial Audio and Laser Drone Space Invaders… | This Week On Channel 9
This week on Channel 9, Nikola and Vlad discuss the week’s top developer news, including;
- [00:22] Ignite
- [00:52] Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14931 for PC [Dona Sarkar]
- [02:24] MIDI Enhancements in Windows 10 [Pete Brown]
- [03:35] “Throwing your voice” with Spatial Audio [Clint Rutkas]
- [04:50] How Microsoft computer scientists and researchers are working to ‘solve‘ cancer [Allison Linn]
- [06:20] How six scrappy young inventors built a breakthrough text-to-Braille translator device [Tracy Ith]
Picks of the Week!
- Nikola’s Pick of the Week:[07:45] Playing Space Invaders in real life using drones as aliens [Clinton Matos]
- Vlad’s Pick of the Week:[09:16] Announcing TypeScript 2.0 [Daniel Rosenwasser]
Please leave a comment or email us at email@example.com.
Configuration as code: Automating Windows Server 2016 configuration with PowerShell and DSC (Article)
Microsoft IT manages thousands of servers across the company, and the process of reconfiguring servers was tedious and potentially inconsistent. Now, using automated configuration with PowerShell and DSC, we can define configuration logic and make changes programmatically in Windows Server. We have a more flexible, consistent environment, with fewer complex server configuration tasks.
MSDN – TechNet Feed
Hyper-V cluster nodes running Windows Server make up a significant part of the private cloud at Microsoft, hosting thousands of apps and services. Upgrading these cluster nodes was a tedious process for Microsoft IT, and meant taking entire clusters offline. But now, with Windows Server 2016, we can do rolling cluster OS upgrades without stopping the services or going offline. The process is simpler and more efficient, and no one loses productivity due to down time.
MSDN – TechNet Feed
The 2nd cumulative update release for SQL Server 2016 RTM is now available for download at the Microsoft Downloads site. Please note that registration is no longer required to download Cumulative updates.
To learn more about the release or servicing model, please visit:
- CU#2 KB Article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3165264
- Understanding Incremental Servicing Model for SQL Server
- Microsoft® SQL Server® 2016 RTM Latest Cumulative Update: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53338
- Update Center for Microsoft SQL Server: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/sqlserver/ff803383.aspx
We hope you enjoyed this week’s episode of This Week on Windows! Check out our Windows 10 Tip blog post to learn more about how you can enable Windows Spotlight images on your lock screen. Head over here to read about the HoloLens experience “Destination: Mars,” here to find out how you can get Forza Horizon 3 early and here to learn about the new desktop apps in the Windows Store. Or, keep reading to see what’s new in the Windows Store this week!
Check out all the ways you can watch your favorite shows on Windows this fall!
Download the Sling TV app and watch your favorite fall premieres live on TBS, AMC, Comedy Central, and more. Get 7 days free and start watching today! Restrictions apply.
Start a free one-week trial of Hulu today and get the best of Fall TV on NBC, FOX, ABC, Comedy Central, and more. From NBC’s Blindspot, ABC’s Modern Family and Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Hulu has your Fall TV needs covered. Don’t forget about all the hit original programming from Hulu: The Mindy Project returns 10/4 and the all-new drama Chance, starring Hugh Laurie, premieres 10/19.
Watch hit TV and movies anytime with Netflix. Start your one-month free trial today and get instant access to hit Netflix originals like Narcos, The Get Down, and the newest season of Black Mirror, as well as the upcoming brand new Netflix originals Marvel’s Luke Cage (9/30) and The Crown (11/4).
Stream your favorite fall shows and new series premieres with the free CBS app. CBS keeps you up-to-date with the latest episodes of your all-time favorites like The Big Bang Theory and NCIS, as well as new shows like Bull and MacGyver. Plus, stream live when you subscribe to CBS All Access.
Home to hits like Jane the Virgin and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and superhero series The Flash, Supergirl, Arrow, and DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, The CW has all of your genre needs covered. Download the free app today to start streaming these and other great titles available on The CW.
Check out the rest of your favorite TV shows with the full collection of apps in the Windows Store, and start watching today!
With Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta ($ 9.99), change up your look with the new MINECON skin pack, featuring 14 skins. The pack includes four biome-themed adventurers: prowl through the treeline as the furtive Forest Fighter, brave blizzards as the intrepid Ice Pioneer, craft the incredible as the meticulous Mesa Artisan, or plumb the depths as the outlandish Ocean Engineer. Not only do you get all this in honor of MINECON 2016 – you get all of last years’ time-limited skins too, in one big jolly bundle. Available for free through October 6.
Shawn Mendes, Illuminate – Buy for $ 13.99
Shawn Mendes’ new album, Illuminate, is out today and available in the Windows Store. You can buy the album for $ 13.99 or listen free with a free 30-day trial of Groove Music Pass.*
Have a great weekend!
*30-day trial continues to a paid monthly subscription unless cancelled. Credit card required. Groove Music Pass sold separately and in select markets. Catalog size and availability varies by market and over time.
Microsoft IT maintains a private cloud that includes dedicated storage and thousands of virtual machines. With Windows Server 2016, we use Storage Quality of Service (QoS) to manage storage usage and monitor performance. Policies in Storage QoS prevent one virtual machine from dominating storage I/O within a cluster, standardize storage I/O, and give us insight into storage I/O across the environment.
MSDN – TechNet Feed
The Azure Big Compute team is happy to announce version 1.0.0 of the Batch Shipyard toolkit, which enables easy deployment of batch-style Dockerized workloads to Azure Batch compute pools. Azure Batch enables you to run parallel jobs in the cloud without having to manage the infrastructure. It’s ideal for parametric sweeps, Deep Learning training with NVIDIA GPUs, and simulations using MPI and InfiniBand.
Whether you need to run your containerized jobs on a single machine or hundreds or even thousands of machines, Batch Shipyard blends features of Azure Batch — handling complexities of large scale VM deployment and management, high throughput, highly available job scheduling, and auto-scaling to pay only for what you use — with the power of Docker containers for application packaging. Batch Shipyard allows you to harness the deployment consistency and isolation for your batch-style and HPC containerized workloads, and run them at any scale without the need to develop directly to the Azure Batch SDK.
The initial release of Batch Shipyard has the following major features:
- Automated Docker Host Engine installation tuned for Azure Batch compute nodes
- Automated deployment of required Docker images to compute nodes
- Accelerated Docker image deployment at scale to compute pools consisting of a large number of VMs via private peer-to-peer distribution of Docker images among the compute nodes
- Automated Docker Private Registry instance creation on compute nodes with Docker images backed to Azure Storage if specified
- Automatic shared data volume support for:
- Seamless integration with Azure Batch job, task and file concepts along with full pass-through of the Azure Batch API to containers executed on compute nodes
- Support for Azure Batch task dependencies allowing complex processing pipelines and graphs with Docker containers
- Transparent support for GPU accelerated Docker applications on Azure N-Series VM instances (Preview)
- Support for multi-instance tasks to accommodate Dockerized MPI and multi-node cluster applications on compute pools with automatic job cleanup
- Transparent assist for running Docker containers utilizing Infiniband/RDMA for MPI on HPC low-latency Azure VM instances (i.e., STANDARD_A8 and STANDARD_A9)
- Automatic setup of SSH tunneling to Docker Hosts on compute nodes if specified
We’ve also made available an initial set of recipes that enable scenarios such as Deep Learning, Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), Molecular Dynamics (MD) and Video Processing with Batch Shipyard. In fact, we are aiming to make Deep Learning on Azure Batch an easy, low friction experience. Once you have the toolkit installed and have Azure Batch and Azure Storage credentials, you can get CNTK, Caffe or TensorFlow running in an Azure Batch compute pool in under 15 minutes. Below is a screenshot of CNTK running on a GPU-enabled STANDARD_NC6 VM via Batch Shipyard with nvidia-smi:
We hope to continue to expand the repertoire of recipes available for Batch Shipyard in the future.
The Batch Shipyard toolkit can be found on GitHub. We welcome any feedback and contributions!